Architectural Specification Writer
IF YOU ARE A SPECIFIER, THIS IS THE PLACE TO WORK!
DTR Consulting Services, the “Building Science Guys”, is a specialized Architectural & Building Science Consulting Firm based in California. For the past 20 years, we have been focused on the technical aspects of Architecture within the Building/ Design Industry assisting Owners, Developers, Contractors & Design Professionals throughout the U.S. with the most technical aspects of a physically constructed building during design, construction, and post-occupancy.
DTR is one of the largest independent construction Specifications Consulting firms in the US, and a highly regarded Building Science/ Enclosure/ Waterproofing and Forensic Consulting Firm, with multiple offices throughout California. We are technical architectural consultants that provide professional services such as; writing master and project specifications, conducting independent QC/Constructability/Peer review services, Building Enclosure/waterproofing consulting, and building investigation/forensics services on a large and exciting variety of projects.
LOOKING FOR A JOB THAT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL VALUED?
DTR is an exciting and growing company looking for the right people to help us expand and prosper. DTR is seeking an experienced, collaborative Construction Specification Writer to develop detailed architectural project specifications and assist project teams in coordinating contract documents for a variety of project types. We love good architecture, building science, emerging technology, and education. We care about the people that work for us! Join us and watch your career grow. We work on an array of exciting and diverse projects from highrises, to movie studios, museums, educational, hospitality, and healthcare facilities. Our management style is to hire those who are self-motivated, love to learn, are confident, and are unafraid to grow. In doing so, we learn from each other, trusting in each other’s individual performance.
- Provide guidance to architectural design firms on product selection and more…client education is key to our mission
- Review drawings and other project information to write and edit specifications for projects and coordinate compliance with project requirements, institutional guidelines, firm standards, technical conditions, acceptable standards, and existing laws, rules, regulations, and codes
- Plan, schedule, organize, and prepare construction specifications for the various phases/milestone deliverables of projects working from the firm-wide master specification core
- Prepare and review the procurement and contracting requirements, including the Division 01 General Requirement sections
- Coordinate and review consultant technical specifications for conformance with firm standards and the remainder of the project manual. Ensure consultants receive and follow the most current specification formatting conventions
- Perform product research; assist project designers with material and product selections
- Prepare, assist, or coordinate with internal Project Architects and non-architectural disciplines such as structural engineering and landscape architecture in specifications and project manual preparation
- Possess a strong design aptitude, outstanding organizational and communication skills, and the ability to collaborate with others effectively
- Maintain awareness of evolving building technology, stay current on product developments, new materials, code changes, and industry trends to bring expertise to the project teams concerning product selections
- Assist construction administration staff with the review of product submittals and evaluate substitution requests and make recommendations regarding compliance with specifications
- This role requires the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, produce results within a deadline, and work both independently and in a team environment.
A minimum of six years of Architectural or Commercial Interiors experience with a minimum of three (full-time) years of increased responsibility in writing, editing, and developing AIA MasterFormat – 3-part specifications, plus:
- Bachelor’s in Architecture, interior architecture, construction management, or a related field, is a plus
- Experience in assisting teams in researching product materials, fabricators, and manufacturers for architectural projects
- Have a strong knowledge of architectural design, engineering coordination, products, construction methodology, design trends, building systems, and manufacturer-supplier appropriateness to be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Develop specifications; including edits, (for Divisions 01 through 14, 31, and 32 and more), assembling project manuals, printing and formatting specifications for all disciplines
- Interface with Clients, Building Owners, and Contractors, and bring your expertise forward to make the best project decisions
- Develop/update in-house masters using Deltek AIA MasterSpec, or similar masters, and other available resource material
- Proficient in reading construction drawings, programs, criteria documents, details, and specifications
- On occasion travel outside the local area as workload and projects require. Meet with clients in their offices.
- You’re smart, and ambitious, work well with others, and have high ethical standards
- You understand that a single person can have a great impact on the success of an organization, but depend on, and work with, your team to achieve such success
- Perform specification edits and formatting, develop custom sections, and assemble Project Manual deliverable specifications for all disciplines
- Membership in Construction Specifications Institute (CSI). CDT Certification is a plus. CCS and LEED AP will merit additional consideration
- Software Proficiency
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, w/ advanced Word training.
- Proficient with MS Outlook Email & Calendar
- Bluebeam Revu, Bluebeam Studio & Adobe Acrobat to respond to Client reviews.
- AutoCAD & Revit proficiency a plus
Applicants MUST submit a formal Cover Letter outlining how their experience meets the job requirements and what their professional aspirations are. Include an up-to-date resume, which includes a full career history. Applicants can submit these documents as one or more PDF files.
Resumes received without a Cover Letter, will NOT be considered.
Compensation & Benefits: Excellent compensation plus comprehensive benefits package (Medical, Dental, Vision, PTO (Vacation, Personal Time & Sick Days), generous Professional Development Assistance, 401(k) match, Profit Sharing, & Performance Bonuses, Paid Holidays, Direct Deposit and Free Parking. Great place to work and grow professionally (including very adventurous Staff Appreciation Days). Must have a good driving record and be willing to travel. DTR will provide professional training and professional development assistance,
plus ongoing building science educational training.
Pay: $78,000.00 – $92,000.00 DOE
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEOC guidelines.